Imagine this: a beautiful chocolate chip skillet cookie with a crisp outside and a soft chewy middle, absolutely packed with melting chocolate chips. Good right? Now imagine it served still warm in the skillet with a generous scoop of ice cream. Welcome to complete and utter cookie heaven!
The ultimate skillet chocolate chip cookie
If you are a cookie fan at all, and especially if you are on the look out for eggless cookie recipes, you are in the right place! My recipe today makes the perfect chocolate chip skillet cookie for two, making it a fabulous dessert for a special occasion. Of course, it can serve just one, but I can assure you it would be a really REALLY generous portion!
So what is a skillet cookie you ask? Well, most cookies are made individually but scooping or rolling each one out before (sometimes chilling and then) baking. These result in fabulous individual servings which are popular all over the world. A skillet cookie has all the deliciousness of a cookie, but because it is baked in a skillet, it has a wonderful crust on the edges and bottom whilst keeping the chewy soft texture in the middle. Plus, the benefit to a skillet cookie is that is can easily be served with some ice cream on top, straight from the oven. This makes an already incredible bake even more indulgent and totally irresistible! For extra decadence, you can even drizzle with extra sauce such as chocolate or caramel!
Making the skillet cookie eggless
Most cookie recipes involve using eggs in the cookie dough. However, I was keen to avoid using an egg in my skillet, as I find sometimes eggs can make a skillet cookie rise a little too much. The result, in a skillet cookie for me, is that I lose a little of the chewy delight a chocolate chip skillet cookie has to offer.
So, in experimenting with egg free recipes, I came across using a substitution of one of my other all time favourite ingredients: condensed milk! The addition of this ingredient, in this recipe, is the perfect substitute, giving a rich decadent flavour and texture that is truly hard to resist!
What ingredients do I need to make this eggless skillet cookie recipe?
- Unsalted butter: as with all my recipes, I like to use unsalted butter so I can control how much salt is in my chocolate chip skillet cookie.
- Soft brown sugar: for sweetness, but also chewiness, in the cookies.
- Condensed milk: the replacement for egg in this recipe. Gives a lovely soft texture to the skillet cookie.
- Vanilla: for delicious flavour in this pizookie recipe!
- Flour: I use plain (all purpose) flour when making this skillet cookie. Other flours will result in different textures, so please be mindful of this if you decide to swap it with another type of flour.
- Cornflour/cornstarch: makes the chocolate chip skillet cookie extra soft and chewy. Can be replaced with the same amount of plain (all purpose) flour if you do not have any cornflour to hand.
- Bicarbonate of soda/baking soda: the leavening agent in this bake, to give the eggless cookie recipe enough lightness so it bakes into chewy delights!
- Chocolate chips: for delicious pops of chocolate throughout the cookie. If you do not have chocolate chips to hand, you can just use the same weight of regular chocolate chopped into chunks.
- Ice cream and chocolate/caramel sauce: I would say this is an optional extra to serve the skillet chocolate chip cookie with, but I once you have tried it with any of these ingredients, it is really hard to enjoy it without them!
What tools do I need to make this chocolate chip skillet cookie recipe?
- Digital kitchen scales*: I provide all my measurements in cups too, however I would encourage all bakers to weigh out ingredients using weighing scales when baking. A set of digital kitchen scales is so useful and totally an essential baking tool for me.
- Measuring spoons*: a set of measuring spoons is essential for any baker. This is because these are more accurate than using everyday teaspoons and tablespoons, which can vary greatly in size.
- Mixing bowl*: used to make the eggless cookie dough in when making this chocolate chip skillet cookie.
- Electric hand mixer*: I would highly recommend investing in a good electric mixer to help with all your baking.
- Spatula*: use to scrape the bowl down, making sure everything is well combined together. The entire skillet cookie recipe can actually be made using just a bowl and a spatula, though an electric mixer does make it easier on your arm!
- Skillet pan*: to bake the chocolate chip skillet cookie in. If you do not have a cast iron skillet, you can use an oven proof dish or a small cake tin too.
How to make a chocolate chip skillet cookie
This truly is best skillet cookie recipe you will find, and it is so easy to make! No chilling, no need even for any special baking equipment! A bowl and a spoon to mix with, and you could even use a small cake tin or oven safe dish if you have no cast iron skillet. Simply mix together the eggless cookie ingredients before pressing in the skillet, stud generously with chocolate chips and bake. Once out of the oven, top with ice cream and drizzle with amy sauces before serving. Job done!
Step 1: Preheat the oven to 180C/350F whilst preparing the cookie dough.
Step 2: In a mixing bowl, combine the butter and sugar until completely mixed together. These is no need to cream together until pale and fluffy, just thoroughly combined is perfect. Add in the vanilla and condensed milk and mix everything together until the mixture is uniform. Sift in the flour, cornflour (cornstarch) and bicarbonate of soda (baking soda) and mix until the mixture forms clumps of dough.
Step 3: Push the mixture together, then gather the dough and place in the skillet pan. Press it down evenly into the pan, using your fingers or a tool to help such as the bottom of a glass or even your spatula.
Step 4: Stud the whole of the top of the cookie dough with the chocolate chips. You may not need them all, but it is certainly fun trying to squeeze them all on!
Step 5: Bake the cookie in the hot oven for 10-12 minutes until slightly puffed up and lightly golden around the edges. Once baked, pull from the oven and place on a heatproof mat. Place a scoop of ice cream on the cast iron cookie and drizzle over any sauces you are using. Serve immediately and enjoy!
Reasons why you will LOVE this chocolate chip skillet cookie
- Basic ingredients needed. This recipe uses ingredients you probably already have at home, making it a brilliant dessert to whip up super easily and super quick!
- No fancy gadgets required. This chocolate chip skillet cookie can be made entirely by hand, though I often use an electric hand mixer for ease.
- Super quick to make. This whole recipe, from mixing the ingredients to sitting down to enjoy the bake, can be done in under half hour. Now that’s a winning dessert right there!
- Easily customisable. No chocolate chips? No problem, chop up a chocolate bar and use that! Or swap for some nuts if you prefer! Do you like white chocolate or dark chocolate more? No problem, swap them out! You could even use M&M’s or sprinkles to make it an extra colourful and fun skillet cookie!
- Bake in any oven-safe dish. If you don’t have a skillet pan, no need to fret! This cookie can be made in any oven-safe dish that is of a similar size. You just will not have the same crisp edges that you would get from baking in a cast iron pan.
How do I know when my skillet cookie is baked?
You will know your cast iron chocolate chip cookie is baked when the cookie has puffed up slightly and the edges are lightly golden. If you gently press down the top of the cookie, it will be firm to touch.
Storing leftover chocolate chip skillet cookie
Skillet cookies are best enjoyed as soon as they are baked, topped with ice cream and sauce if you wish. If you wish to keep some of the cookie, leave it to cool then place in an airtight container. Store for 2-3 days at room temperature. If you want the cookie warm before enjoying again, you can reheat the chocolate chip skillet cookie in one of two ways. You can reheat in the microwave for a few seconds (remove from the skillet before doing this). Or you could place back in the skillet and reheat in the oven for 5-7 minutes.
Can I freeze skillet cookies?
The cookie dough can be frozen once made but without the chocolate chips adding. Simply place in a freezer safe bag, push out any air and seal. This dough can be frozen for up to two months. To bake, simply thaw at room temperature until soft enough to push into a skillet. Stud with chocolate chips and your mini skillet cookie is ready to be baked!
To freeze the cookie once baked, just allow it to cool completely, then place in a freezer safe sealable bag, seal and freeze. Thaw at room temperature and reheat in the oven at 180C/350F for 5-7 minutes if you want to enjoy it warm again.
Baking tips for homemade skillet cookie
- No need to cream the butter and sugar together when making this eggless cookie recipe. Just mix together until combined and continue with the recipe!
- If you do not have cornflour (cornstarch), no worries! Simply replace it with the same quantity of plain flour in this chocolate chip skillet cookie.
- To make this a chocolate skillet cookie recipe, simply replace 1 tbsp of flour with the same amount of cocoa powder when making the cookie dough. Continue after this according to the recipe.
- Get creative when studding the cookie! You can use any sort of chocolate chips, of course. However you could also use other chips such as butterscotch or peanut butter, or even different types of nuts. Possible flavour combinations include white chocolate and macadamia nut, chocolate and peanuts or walnut and dark chocolate.
- Serve the chocolate chip skillet cookie as soon as it comes out of the oven. Top it with a generous scoop of ice cream and drizzle with some extra toppings. Remember though that the cast iron skillet cookie will be very hot, so please be careful!
If you have any other questions about this recipe, please leave me a comment below, I would love to help. And if you do make this recipe for chocolate chip skillet cookie, please do consider leaving a rating and review below. I would really appreciate your feedback to grow my website and it really helps others looking for a similar recipe too. Additionally, you could also post a picture on Instagram and tag me when you share it with the world. You already know I would love to see!
More cookie recipes for you to enjoy
Here are a few other recipes I think you will love too:
Eggless chocolate chip cookies: These cookies are chunky, chewy and a total treat! Add that they are super easy to bake and can be made ahead of time, and you have an all round winner!
Eggless cinnamon sugar donuts: these donuts are so quick and easy to make, they’re ready in under an hour! They are light, moist and wonderfully cakey, and are dredged in the most glorious cinnamon sugar!
The BEST triple chocolate chip cookies: Deep rich and chewy chocolate cookies cram-packed full of oodles of white, milk, and dark chocolate chips. Pure, unadulterated, indulgent chocolate heaven.
Thanks for joining me today, my friends! Enjoy and happy baking! x