Easter is just around the corner, and what could be a better way to enjoy it (and the coming spring and summer months!) than with ice cream? This scrumptious mini egg ice cream is such a simple no churn recipe needing just 4 ingredients. Perfectly easy and wonderfully irresistible!
What are mini eggs?
Cadbury mini eggs are a milk chocolate product widely available in the run up to Easter. It is made up of a solid milk chocolate middle, shaped like an egg, and coated in thin sugar candy “shell”. The mini eggs come in a selection of beautiful spring time shades with a delightful speckled finish to the sugar shells.
What is no churn ice cream?
No churn ice cream is made without the use of an ice cream maker machine. Ice cream makers churn or mix the ice cream mixture whilst chilling it, resulting in a smooth crystal free ice cream like those bought in stores. A no churn ice cream does not use such a machine at all. Instead, it is mixed together and simply popped in the freezer to chill and set before scooping and serving. For me, this method whilst resulting in a different texture of ice cream, is so simple and convenient, I love it for this alone!
Cadbury mini egg ice cream ingredients
- Mini eggs: the star of the show! I absolutely love the crunch, texture and colour these little nuggets of joy bring to this ice cream!
- Condensed milk: this thick milk acts as a sweetener and softens the ice cream, allowing for easier scooping.
- Double cream: also known as heavy cream or even whipping cream, this ingredient cannot be replaced with milk or another alternative.
- Vanilla: gives a subtle additional flavour to the ice cream, and also helps soften it slightly to make it easier to scoop.
What equipment do I need to make Cadbury mini egg ice cream?
- Digital kitchen scales*: I provide all my measurements in cups, however I would encourage all bakers to weigh out ingredients when baking. A set of digital kitchen scales is so useful and totally an essential baking tool for me.
- Measuring spoons*: a set of measuring spoons is essential for any baker. This is because these are more accurate than using everyday teaspoons and tablespoons, which can vary greatly in size.
- Mixing bowl*: to beat all the ingredients together until thick before leaving to chill for a few hours to turn into easter egg ice cream!
- Handheld electric mixer*: a useful tool to make life easier in the kitchen! You can, of course, make this whole recipe entirely by hand. But it will be quite the workout for your arm!
- Spatula*: useful to help make sure nothing has been missed and not mixed in. Also useful to scrape down the bowl out when transferring the mini eggs ice cream mixture to the container for freezing.
- Storage container with lid*: to store the ice cream in when in the freezer. I use a loaf tin in my images here, only because it looks pretty, but I would normally used a lidded container too.
How to make mini egg ice cream
This mini egg ice cream recipe comes together not only in super quick time, but also with such little effort. Once made, it chills in the freezer overnight before it is ready to be enjoyed! One of the easiest desserts to make, this homemade no churn ice cream is the best easter ice cream you will try!
Step 1: Place the mini eggs in a sealable freezer bag, sealed shut, then bash with a rolling pin until you have large chunks of mini eggs. Alternatively, you could chop them roughly into large chunks. The rolling pin option is a lot more fun though!
Step 2: Pour the double cream, condensed milk and vanilla into a large mixing bowl. Beat the mixture using an electric hand whisk until it turns thick and stands in firm peaks when the beater is lifted. This takes me about 4-5 minutes with my hand held electric mixer.
Step 3: Reserve a large handful of mini eggs to decorate the top of the ice cream. Tip the remaining chocolate eggs into the ice cream mixture and fold to completely combine. Pour the ice cream mixture into the freezer safe container and level the top.
Step 4: Use the reserved mini eggs to stud the top of the ice cream mixture. Pop the lid on the container and place in the freezer for at least six hours or overnight. When you are ready to indulge, make sure to remove the container from the freezer a few minutes before scooping for it to soften slightly. Enjoy!
What is the best way to crush the mini eggs?
The easiest way to crush mini eggs is to pop them into a sealed freezer bag and bash them with a rolling pin. This is also the most fun and therapeutic! However, if you wanted to have more control of how big the chunks of mini eggs end up, they can be cut with a knife too. But where’s the fun in that!
Can I use evaporated milk instead of condensed milk to make this ice cream?
No, condensed milk is different to evaporated milk, and one will not substitute the other in this recipe. You cannot use evaporated milk to make no churn ice cream.
Can single or whipping cream be used instead of double cream to make no churn ice cream? Can you use heavy cream or whipping cream?
In order for this ice cream to set, you must use a cream that will thicken to stiff peaks when whisked. Here in the UK, this means using double cream or whipping cream and not single cream. As a guide, always use a cream that has 35% or more fat content.
Storing homemade ice cream
I used a 2lb loaf tin, just to make it look pretty for my pictures on my blog. However, I would advise using a lidded container to store this ice cream in the freezer. I link to the one I normally use for my easy mini egg ice cream no churn below.
How long will homemade mini egg ice cream last?
This Cadbury mini egg ice cream no churn recipe can be kept in the freezer and enjoyed for up to three weeks. I will be seriously impressed if it is not eaten sooner though!
Can this ice cream be made gluten free and dairy free?
The mini egg ice cream itself is naturally gluten free, so there is no need to substitute anything there! In terms of making this recipe dairy free, I have not personally come across a perfect alternative for dairy free double cream that will whip up to stiff peaks. I do know many people have had success with the brand Elmlea here in the UK, though I have not tried it myself so cannot vouch for whether it will work or not. If you do try making this dairy free, I would love to hear from you, please leave me a comment below!
Additional tips for making this easy no churn mini egg ice cream
- Using vanilla in making no churn ice cream helps make it a little softer, and so easier to scoop.
- To break up the mini eggs, you can either bash them in a sealed freezer bag using a rolling pin or chop them on a board with a knife. Either way, you are aiming to have mostly larger chunks of mini eggs left to go through the ice cream.
- Ensure the cream used will whip to stiff peaks when making this ice cream. If you use something that will not whip up, you will end up with a tasty but rather runny mess!
- Always keep the cream and beaters in the fridge to keep them both cold right until you are ready to use them. This helps the cream whip up a lot quicker, and gives wonderfully soft whipped peaks to the cream.
- As optional extras, you could add in a handful of chocolate chips. Or even a swirl of chocolate fudge sauce for extra decadence!
- Remove the ice cream from the freezer a few minutes before you want to enjoy it. Dip the ice cream scoop or spoon in a mug of boiling water before scooping. Dry it off then scoop the ice cream. This warming of the utensil helps it glide through the ice cream, making it a whole lot easier to create perfectly beautiful scoops of ice cream! Dip and wipe down the tool between scoops to give clean scoops of mini egg ice cream every time.
If you have any questions about this mini egg ice cream, please comment below and I will do my best to help. And do remember: if you enjoy this recipe for mini egg ice cream, please leave a rating and review below. You could even post a picture on Instagram and tag me when you share it with the world. You already know I would love to see!
Other no churn ice cream recipes you may like
Oreo ice cream: Warm summer months call for easy desserts, and what could be easier than a no churn ice cream? This homemade Oreo ice cream is a cookie lovers delight, made with just 4 ingredients and is the ultimate summertime dessert!
Peanut butter and chocolate ice cream: This gorgeous ice cream is rich and creamy and totally to die for! A peanut butter ice cream, dipped in a smooth magic milk chocolate, is then topped with chopped peanuts. If you are looking for the best peanut butter chocolate ice cream, look no further, you have just found it!
Mango ice cream: My tropical mango kulfi is creamy and dreamy, a perfect summertime treat, and incredibly easy to make! This no-churn mango ice cream recipe uses just four ingredients and is ready to be chilled in a flash!
Thanks so much for joining me today, my friends! Enjoy! x